The Society was founded in 1988 to provide a focal point for those interested in researching, preserving and sharing the history of the village.
The Society provides an annual programme of monthly talks on the history of the village and the surrounding area, together with occasional walks and visits.
Society members are currently engaged in several research activities including the transcribing and georeferencing of data from 1842 Tithe maps of the local parishes. These maps provide information on land ownership and usage shortly before the coming of the railway to the village.
Tim Cowin – Chairman Mike Driver – Secretary
Brian Tomkinson – Membership and Treasurer Paul Marshman – Archivist
Barbara Openshaw – Committee Member
Ken Newley – Committee Member
Jennie Dolman – Committee Member
To provide an annual season of monthly talks on historical themes, relevant to the history of the village and surrounding area.
To provide an annual season of walks and visits linked to the history of the village and that year’s talks programme.
To continue to provide a source of historical information on the village, providing a resource for residents of the village and those from further afield.
To provide integration with the wider local history network, including the local archives services.
To provide a focal point within the village for local history research, including the recording of oral history.